Saturday, July 25, 2015

Idaho Trip Day 1

 Saturday morning we were picked up by the M. fam and we headed up to Idaho. It was a fairly laid back drive-dad was our faithful driver as we  casually conversed and drifted in and out of naps.

Once we got to Rexburg, there was no hiding Meg’s excitement. The conversation took on a whole new dynamic as she sat up straight and said, “You see that restaurant? I went there for a date once. It was… interesting. Oh, look at that building! That is where…” We could only get a few phrases in, such as, “What is that building for?!”  or “Is this where…?” It was fun to see her be so reminiscent of a place she has called home for the last couple of years. 



We parked and walked around the campus, Meg acting as our tour guide as we found the buildings where Alexis would have her classes. I was impressed with the campus. It was also fun to hear Mom and Dad interject little tidbits from when they met-where mom used to work at four in the morning (?!) or the wild Passion Pit (Dad says they would kiss a lot there. Mom denied it). My favorite was the Gardens. It is well landscaped, and although you are between academic buildings smack dab in the middle of a college campus, it seems like you are truly in a little landscaped forest, complete with little ponds, Greek ruins and a vast array of flowers. So beautiful!



Yep-Those are my sisters!



The only thing that could convince us to leave such a neat place was hunger. Wendy’s called. So we grabbed some food, and ate in Jon’s lounge as we watched Turbo until it was time to go to Julie Rowe’s seminar at the tabernacle. Once we got there, it was CRAZY! So many people! And high-strung ushers! J It was amazing how many people they were able to fit on those wooden pews. I have been intrigued about Julie Rowe since Mom introduced me to her books, so I was interested in hearing what she had to say. But before she even began, I noticed I couldn’t seem to catch my breath as I sang. I don’t know it was because my back was pinched and I couldn’t get a full breath, or if it was feeling claustrophobic, hot and dehydrated… whatever did it, I was outta there in the first 15 minutes of Julie’s comments. I wasn’t out there long when Chris joined me, and helped me to settle down and breath properly. Just feeling the breeze did wonders, and after a few minutes I calmed down and felt much better. It was a pretty embarrassing experience, considering I was the ONLY ONE in that group of hundreds of people that seemed to be affected in that way. Plus I was disappointed that we had missed Julie’s comments. But it was nice to be so well taken care of by my dear, caring husband …and my spirit was consoled when we went to the nearby Taco Bell and got a Frito Burrito. There is just no way to feel too sad when you are munching on those things.     

Upon finding our hotel and settling in, Brooke and I immediately resumed our tradition of getting hot chocolate from the lounge (even though we had just eaten and it is mid-summer). It is very important. And I am glad Brooke agrees.               

No comments:

Post a Comment