Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hypno-Babies Masters


Tonight was our last Hypno-babies class, which means we are Hypno-Masters (almost as cool as becoming a Pokemon Master)! It was a bittersweet evening-I have come to enjoy Thursdays as a day I would definitely be learning something new about pregnancy, childbirth and parenthood. It would never disappoint. But having Thursday nights back isn’t anything to gripe about.

My take on Hypno-babies: I really have loved how I have come to not feel like birth is some mysterious experience I will know nothing about and can’t properly prepare for, to something I have come to understand and even look forward to. Now childbirth isn’t something just to endure, get through or survive in order to get to hold my baby. It is a learning and growing experience where I get to actively participate. I love the confidence that comes from the preparation and using the tools that you learn on a regular basis. That is pretty impressive transformation for a six week course.

Something I didn’t love about it was that it takes awhile to feel natural. At first as I listened to the scripts, I was very wary because it sounds like they will brainwash you the minute you put your guard down. Some of the things that they are adamant about, I understand where they are coming from, but it feels a little bit much. Also, they always emphasize that this will make childbirth easy. More under control and more relaxed I understand, but easy? There is a fine line between being positive and being outright unrealistic. I almost feel like if they say it will be easy and then you don’t feel like it was easy, you will believe you were a failure. I think either way, when you are holding your baby, it was a success! But I guess I can’t be a true judge of this until I try it, and overall, I am very glad we are going this route. I definitely feel the best about this when compared to anything else I learned about.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, it does take some getting used to. And i felt that same way at first about "putting my guard down." The more I allowed myself to just get into it and be in the moment, the more relaxed and secure I felt about the whole thing. And the less weird and "is this really ok?" it felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am super interested in how everything will play out on the day Riley comes. I guess I can't really judge it until I get to use it in a real situation!

    ReplyDelete