Monday, July 20, 2015

Baby Elizabeth and Hospital Tours

Yes yes, I know Elizabeth was born on Sunday afternoon/evening, and this is the next day, but believe me-the time between when she was born and when I got to see her was an eternity!
 
Don’t you worry- I went to work and did all the things I was supposed to do. …even if I wasn’t all there mentally. I was constantly asking for pictures to be messaged to me of my darling little niece, which fueled me through the day (literally, I was looking at them every chance I got!).
 
That evening it was awesome to see Rachel and Jon at the hospital… and then-ELIZABETH!  
 
She is still in the NICU, so visiting is limited and there is no holding her. Not even Jon has held her yet. I honor that man’s self-discipline!!
We saw her a total of 2.3 minutes because the pediatrician butted into our adoring, yet creepy, staring fest as she slept. And then he made her CRY! …which I actually enjoyed (once my protective aunt-self stepped down) because even her cry and her angry scrunched face is so stinkin’ cute! As soon as she was swaddled again she immediately stopped, which made us ‘aw!’ with the cuteness of her perturbed annoyance. I love her perfect little face, her adorable little nose and, my personal favorite, her long dark hair. I mean really, full grown women would be jealous of this voluptuous hairdo!
 
We didn’t want to intrude long, so we headed off to our hospital for a tour of the women’s center where we will get to meet our little girl in about SEVEN WEEKS!
I’ll be honest, I wasn’t thinking I would really enjoy looking around at the hospital. As grateful as I am to have hospitals, doctors and modern technology, hospitals also remind me of my hospital job, which was chock full of strange contraptions and eyebrow-raising smells. But I was pleasantly surprised! The nurse who gave us a tour was very sweet, and when we mentioned that we wanted to have this birth without medication, she immediately pulled us into the ‘special’ room we would be using, complete with a spa tub and more privacy. Pretty sweet! The postpartum room was a little small and sparse, but what good motivation to get up and out of there, right? J
 
The closer we get to seeing our little girl, the less fear and anxiety I have felt. Not that I have felt much of those feelings in the first place, but I was thinking they would start to creep in as the date drew nearer. On the contrary, I have felt more calm and excited as time has gone on. This has been a neat experience, and I can’t wait to meet our daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment