Monday, July 27, 2015

Elizabeth and Laxative


It is so interesting how when you are in the grind of ‘regular days’ working, you dream of a vacation so you can rest. Then, when you go on vacation, you completely wear yourself out so you good and worn out by the time work starts up again. Oh the irony.

Such went Monday back at work. Although, looking forward to seeing family that evening was a nice little carrot to egg me on. We went over to Cindy’s soon after 5pm for dinner and visiting before Dad and the kids left the following day. Chris, who had been fasting all day for his colonoscopy the next morning, was immediately given Elizabeth to hold as Ray and Jon ate. While at first I had felt guilty about bringing Chris to a family gathering with food, I immediately turned to enviously watching him as he walked into the other room with Elizabeth completely to himself. As soon as I saw that Elizabeth was able to be held, the wonderful food on my plate instantaneously lost its savor, and I ate quickly and distractedly as I tried to catch glimpses of Chris and Elizabeth in the other room.  Finally (FINALLY!) I finished my food and went to join Chris in admiring our little niece. It’s amazing how someone sleeping can be so adorable that they hold you entranced for minutes on end. Too soon, we decided we could no longer delay Chris’ laxatives and headed home.

If the idea of a colonoscopy isn’t intimidating enough, I believe the laxative container is made to make intimidation complete. 




In fact, ‘container’ is too tame of a name for this thing- ‘gigantic jug of pure angst in liquid form’ may be more appropriate. 




Chris bravely began his consumption of laxative. An hour later, after multiple sluggish trips to the refrigerator for more, and mad dashes to the bathroom, I asked Chris if the container was almost empty. With the saddest, most pathetic look I have seen him give me, and with tears in his eyes, he replied, “I’m about halfway.” :(

No comments:

Post a Comment