Sunday, June 28, 2015

Hypnobabies

We have officially started a birthing class! This is getting real people!

Ever since I have gotten pregnant, I have felt an insatiable fascination with pregnancy, birth and babies. As in, if I did not have a decent filter and abounding mercy on Chris, baby monologues would be a consistent threat in our household. In my searchings I have been amazed at the amount of information and opinions on these subjects. It seemed that as much as I consumed, there was so much more I was missing. I remember one day feeling a little overwhelmed with it all. I mean, how many opinions of 'this is the best way to...!' can be heeded and applied?! 

On that day I was on the phone with Ray, and she said something profound. She quoted our cousin Whitney, who had said something to the effect of, 'God knows your needs and He knows your baby personally. What better source do we have in making these decisions than Him?' (Sorry if that is completely butchered Whitney/Ray-hopefully I got the gist of it)

That was kind of a 'duh!' moment for me. How many times have I been guided and lead with difficult decisions in the past? Come on now! Why would this huge decision in my near future be any different?

So although I did not stop my tireless search for information, I turned to the Lord for help in leading me to what was best for our family. I began feeling drawn towards some articles and away from websites-I felt more able to discern between what would work for us and what wouldn't. Hypnobabies has been the product of this method of deduction.

Hypnobabies is a program designed to teach a birthing mother how to relax and work with her body during birth rather than relying on medications to deaden the pain. While I am not against getting an epidural, I have felt the most excited about the opportunity to listen and work with my body rather than have no feeling at all. While there are still some ideas and methods in Hypnobabies I am not in total agreement with, it has been the closest to what I feel are my highest priorities-making birth a positive experience rather than one to be feared and being able to work with my body.

Working with my body sounds so appealing! Majoring in Exercise Science has given me so much appreciation for the body and what it is capable of. Also, as I have slowly learned to enjoy running, I have been intrigued by the power of the mind and what can be accomplished when we truly decide to do something. It has been a thrilling and educational experience for me in self-discipline and coming to know myself better.

Overall, I'm excited for this class and what I get to learn. So far we've only been to two classes, and there are six altogether, so I will keep you updated.


29 1/2 weeks. Thank you for the dress, Momma!




1 comment:

  1. I want to hear about your hypnobabies experience! So excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete