Friday, March 18, 2016

Naps

It's amazing the variety of sources you turn to for help when your baby isn't sleeping 'normally.' Sleep deprivation is, shall we say, motivating. After a rough night and a napless day, any once rational parent is driven to a frantic search for a cure to never go through that experience again.
We won't even talk about how long Riley goes between having a good napping session. I don't want to cry right now.

And as this story has unfolded, I have come to understand more and more the countless books, articles and advice given to these desperate zombie parents. People would search day in and day out to find something that works for their baby.

And I am no exception.

I have tried feeding at different times, cry it out (this one didn't last long...), different beds, routines, singing, nightlight, and full out begging to see if there was a consistent improvement in Riley's sleeping habits. Nothing has been a cure-all :(
...but my creativity has begun to improve drastically! ;)

It wasn't until I was having a conversation with Papa that I began to see this all differently. Sometimes he will take her (relief!) and put her down for naps. Only he doesn't just go put her down. He talks about the experience of 'getting to snuggle' very differently than I would describe 'getting her down' (as a matter of survival on my part). After thinking about this concept, and discussing it with Papa, I have come to see this whole nap thing differently.

Rather than the walk to the bedroom being dreaded and accompanied by battle zone soundtrack, have it be a time to look forward to snuggling and enjoying each other. A time to enjoy lying down and relaxing with each other rather than a power struggle. Although I still really have enjoyed the times she goes down smoothly and I get to have time to myself, I love having a more positive outlook to napping. If I end up stuck in the room, cradling her to help her fall asleep, I can see it instead as a chance to snuggle with my precious little girl. I have been better at enjoying these experiences now rather than cursing their existence.



2 comments:

  1. Getting babies to sleep can be so hard. Porter napped in my arms a lot as a baby. I would just sit in the rocking chair with him the whole time. I used that time to work on projects on the computer and read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you do that with Landon as a toddler?! That is what I'm afraid of... missing time to myself when she refuses to nap is one thing. If I had another kid to take care of though...! I feel like personal time will just get more and more sacred!

    ReplyDelete