Monday, March 7, 2016

Fluctuating Head

We went to Riley's six month appointment with her new doctor here in California. Riley had missed her nap, so I was bracing myself for being That Mom with the Tantrum Child. To my surprise, and gratitude, she was so good! The drive over to the clinic she contentedly looked out the window, and while I filled out the paperwork, she observantly took in her surroundings.


She weighed 17lbs 9oz and 27 inches, which puts her square in the 50th percentiles for height and weight. I wish we could have swung a 4 month appointment to see her progression. When did she go from 90-80th percentiles to average? Not that I am worried or anything, it is just interesting to me.

The most intriguing part was that her head is now in the 90th percentile. This wouldn't be too crazy, other than the fact that in the Utah clinic, it was in the 30th percentile. Holy smokes, our kids head is blowing up! It probably has more to do with how the measure her head, but I think her head looks fairly well proportioned, if I do say so myself.

I had been steeling myself for having to watch her get her immunizations. Previous appointments that led to drawing blood or getting shots left me in emotional shambles, so I was determined to turn things around and be strong for Riley, as well as being considerate of the office's budget for tissues. Again I was surprised; the most difficult part of the appointment was the exam. When she lied down on the crinkle paper, I think she got scared and started shaking uncontrollably :( And then getting little nozzles and gadgets prodding her here and there just escalated the matter. By the time the doctor left, she was inconsolable. The worst part of the shots was that the nurse had me help restrain her (I can't stand helping to hold her down while she is staring up at you, hurt and betrayed :( ) but as soon as I picked her up, she immediately stopped crying!

All in all, it is crazy what an ordeal a 45 minute appointment can be. I'm so glad for modern medicine, but I am also glad we only go once every three months!


No comments:

Post a Comment