Thursday, March 31, 2016

Komics

I've always been a sucker for memories.

Always.

As a kid I was a pretty good organizer ...until I got into pictures or home videos. Then I was a goner, spending hours-days even!-pouring over pictures of me as a baby, chuckling at me bullying my little sister, cherishing my wonderful lack of fashion, gushing about how adorably cute I was, remembering my wacky achievements and overall reminiscing about how my awesome self came to be. I made memory videos for my family and friends when I left for college. Then I teamed up with roommmates to make videos from the pictures we took each semester and I'm almost done with scrapbooks for each year of college. (will they ever get done, you ask? Doubt it) When I brought Chris home to meet my family for the first time, what did we do for an entire day? Look at pictures from scrapbooks and home videos of course! All day. Every day.
(I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.
...but never ask Chris about his thoughts about the matter)

My journal writing was all over the place. I would write consistently for a year, barely touch it the next year, and then promptly lose my journal until the beginning of the next year. New Years resolutions would kick in for awhile, only to fade out once more. There were many times I just didn't want to sit my busy little buns down to write. And then there was the time I looked back in my journal, didn't like my handwriting and erased everything so I could do it 'right...' oh, perfectionist little Kimber sabotaged personal history many a time.
I enjoyed writing in my journal, but my favorite entries in my journal are when I would illustrate my experiences. There is an angry lizard murmuring about its kinked tail from getting caught by Ray, a depiction of my 5th grade teacher as a Goliath-sized, bushy-haired devil glowering at me (and my personal favorite part of that drawing-the student teacher depicted as a obese bat cradling a Coke), and then a random picture of a bird skeleton (don't remember the story behind that one...)

As much as I enjoy writing, there is something about visual memories that really gets me excited.
(Hence, the blog Riley pictures overload...)

And I guess that is how I got into comics.

Not Sunday Paper comics, mind you, but comics I created of the little awkward moments we come to treasure over time. I find embarrassing and goofy experiences to tickle my fancy, and being able to experience that little tickle over and over is a true delight. Because I was not born a natural drawer, and have not taken any time to try to develop that talent in the slightest, little stick figures have been my go-to. Therefore, the comics lack visual appeal. I believe that has made my perfectionist side turn away from continuing these comics.

But all that is about to change.

Chris introduced me a couple weeks ago to a cartoonist by the name of Anthony Holden. He is a BYU Alum from the animation program. I saw a few of his comics here and there, but it wasn't until today that I went to his website and was hooked. His comics are exactly what I love-clean, fun, and centered on the obscurities and idiosyncrasies of family life. There are even some that aren't really that funny, but I'm sure to the family they are hilarious, and that makes me love them even more! Because inside jokes are the best! And I love them!

And I want them...!

And so, after having this idea for some time now and dwibbling in the mire of justification for way too long, I am officially proclaiming to all my blogging world that I am GOING TO DO THIS!

And finally, the name of this blog will begin to make much more sense.


2 comments:

  1. I love that you make little comics as journal entries of sorts. And I was always inspired to see you diligently writing in your journal during college. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shell! I've recently realized that my drawing skills need some work (I guess going years without drawing doesn't make you a better drawer...who knew?) so I appreciate the encouragement!

      Delete