Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Drive

After our doctors appointment for Baby Waz (who is doing great, btw), we hit the road to LA!

California road signs at their finest

It's amazing to me that no matter how much I have talked to Chris in the past, the opportunity to sit side by side with him for hours on end is still thrilling. I love talking to that Man! I tried to really just enjoy the time because it won't be just the two of us travelling for much longer. Babies aren't known for being the best conversationalists or road-trip partners.

St. George Temple Break
One memorable moment on the car drive up was at a rest area. I was washing my hands at the sink, looked up at myself and decided to look at myself in profile.

I haven't really done this a whole lot. Usually I just look at myself straight on. You know, like a normal person. But I turned to the side and what I saw had me staring incredulously at my reflection for several moments.

I'm big.

Like, BIG.

I know people have been saying this for awhile, in all its creative variations (my personal favorite being 'You've really blossomed!' What does that mean, really?) but it is one thing to have people tell you that and nonchalantly smile and brush it off versus really seeing it. How in the world is my body still balanced anyway?! Only cartoons should be able to contort like this! And the mystery of my back aches was instantly solved right then and there.

Quite the strange discovery to have a random restroom somewhere in between Provo and LA.


We were able to find our hotel without much incident in the middle of downtown around 9pm.

We slept at Americas Best Value Inn. Not Thai Asian Food

We hadn't had dinner yet, so we scoped out what was nearby. After weighing the pros and cons of driving versus walking down the street to Jimmy Johns, we decided we would drive just because it felt safer. Getting dinner went from being a simple task to becoming a perilous adventure as we scavenged for parking and found it to be scarce and expensive. We plotted such daring attempts as dropping one of us off to run in as the other circled the premises, or getting it delivered to our hotel and just stuffing the extra cost. By some miracle, after dropping me off, Chris found a parking spot not too far ahead, and we were able to triumphantly walk over together and get our precious reward of Jimmy Johns.

It was amazing how busy the streets were! So many hoards of people out so late at night. I guess that is when city life begins, but it definitely felt different from the Provo night life we have become accustomed to. Who would have guessed? :)


The best part of our hotel was the staff. The room... was sufficient for our needs.



When we chose the hotel, we decided it would be the best if it was located as close to the LA Convention Center as possible, while staying affordable. What worried me the most were the hotel reviews stating that it was a bad part of town and they didn't feel safe. I was happy not to have a lingering feeling of impending doom as we got ready for bed, and so overall I was very grateful for our hotel. Even if we did sleep on beds with sheets that felt like diapers (they crackled like crazy!).

1 comment:

  1. Profile shot, please! ... Just in case I don't see you before you pop! :)

    ReplyDelete