Saturday, June 11, 2016

Brethren

Riley and I went to the library this afternoon. It is a good place to go to change things up, because Riley can get bored by just staying in the house.
It was very obvious upon getting there that Riley wasn't really in a reading mood. She played a little with the toys, but mainly she was very intrigued by the people around us. There were a few mothers who came and went with their younger children and Riley was simply fascinated by them. She would sit and watch them intently, and she would crawl really close to them and try to get their attention by staring, waving, you name it. None of the people gave her any notice, however, so we ended up going home after only a short time.
Now, I don't mean to be judgmental in the slightest. How many times have I been that person to ignore the children around me rather than engage them in some way? But this experience helped some ideas surface from thoughts that have been ruminating in my mind recently.

Matthew 25:40 "...Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

I feel like being a parent and watching Riley has given me insight on how Heavenly Father feels as he watches us figure out life. I know what that would have meant to Riley just to have someone smile or wave at her that day. It would have meant a lot to Riley, but I think it would have meant even more to me.  I think as Heavenly Father watches us go through life, what He feels is exponentially more than what we are experiencing. He is ecstatic as we reach out to each other and help each other feel included. He is devastated when we feel let down or hurt. He cares so much more than we realize day to day. When we don't feel loved or we feel lonely, we can remember He is right there, hurting for us and wanting the very best for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment