Saturday, September 26, 2015

The First Month: Week 3

We felt particularly spoiled this week, because Mimi got off work and came out from California to help us out. We truly have the best Moms!!! They were lifesavers! Plus, it is just fun to see grandbabies with their grandparents-definitely a special loving bond there.




We had Riley's 2 week appointment. We were particularly interested in her weight, since at the lactation consultant's she had been borderline when she wasn't getting enough to eat. Thankfully, Riley was back at her birth weight. In fact, we caught the first glimpse of her being an overachiever-she even exceeded her birth weight at 8lbs 10oz! (her birth weight was 8lbs 4oz) 93rd percentile in height, 60th percentile in weight and 33rd percentile in head size. The worst part of the visit was they had to do yet another PKU. I was determined to handle this test better than the last one-which I did! (not a hard goal to beat) This time I stayed in the room...and cried pitifully while my mother-in-law held me. So...that is progress, right?! Haha, I know, so pathetic! I am usually a pretty logical person, who can logic my way out of emotional situations so I don't get too teary. But I think logic has taken a vacation, or needs to hit the gym (so weak!). Hopefully one of these days I will get my emotions back in check. Until then, I am indebted to loving and non-judgmental mother-in-laws.

She was intrigued by Chris' ukulele playing-she kept looking at Chris and the ukulele in wonder




Another reason I am indebted to mother-in-laws: pedicures. Mimi treated me to a pedicure while she was here. I can't remember the last time I got a pedicure. It felt wonderful, and I was amazed at how getting my toenails done made me feel like a new person-I suddenly felt like dressing up in something other than PJs and maybe taking a shower or two. Now that is magical. It was great having the whole week to be with Mimi. I am sure Riley would agree :)


Loaf Baby

Mimi clipping her 'clawlike daggers' aka her fingernails
When Mimi first arrived-they instantly bonded :)



My cousin got married this weekend. While Mimi watched Riley Friday night, we went to the reception. We weren't gone super long. In fact, the entire time I was thinking of getting back and relieving Mimi (although I am not sure why. Mimi is extremely capable as a babysitter). I was amazed at how refreshing it felt to be with just Chris again. We hadn't been alone since Riley was born, and it felt good even to simply talk with Chris about something other than baby stuff. By the end of the night I was sold on making date night a priority in our marriage! It made all the difference, and when we got back home, we were all charged and refreshed for the parenting scene again.





No comments:

Post a Comment