Saturday, September 19, 2015

The First Month: Week 2




This week Momma M. stayed with us to help with Riley. We were so grateful for the help! And it was fun to see my mom with her grand baby. Mom has always been cute with babies, and it was fun to see her with my baby now :)






Who knew a such little person could require such endurance?! I would get up with her in the night, feed her, and pass her off to my mom to get her back down while I pumped. We had the system down pat! We would have had a difficult time surviving without her.



On Tuesday of this week, I was up feeding Riley at 4am, and when I stood up there was an enormous gush of blood! I laid down and the bleeding didn't continue to be so excessive, but I called my doctor the next morning just in case. He had me come in, and he verified that everything seemed alright, but if it happened again to go to the ER. It ended up being a good thing we went to the doctor that day though, because he was able to clip Riley's tongue-tie while we were there. It was awful having to hold her and restrain her as the doctor went at her with scissors. Remember how I was an emotional mess? Yeah, I barely held it together.




Then we went to the hospital to get her PKU test redone (the one where they lance the baby's heel and have them bleed onto a paper). The first one that had been done wasn't usable because she had 'bled too much.' Bled too much?! Seriously?! Why are they telling an over emotional mamma this sort of thing?! I couldn't even stay in the room when they did it-thankfully my mom took my place to be with Riley. I felt like an awful mom, abandoning my child to go through a traumatic experience alone without me by her side. But I really was a hot mess, and not much help to anyone at the moment. Plus, I think the experience was harder for me to go through than for her!

She slept through all two hours of church!!




First Bath at Home
I promise there were good things that happened this week as well :) We went to Great Grandma N. for 5 generation pictures. It is so neat that she is still here! I love her spit-fire personality and her zest for family history. Plus, it was another opportunity for cousin pictures.




Five Generation Picture-starring Riley's Great-Great Grandma Nelson




Funny story for the week-Usually Mom or Chris feed Riley with a bottle, but one afternoon I found myself alone and she needed some more milk. I made up the bottle and went to feed it to her. Once the nipple hit her lips, she looked up at me with a very confused face as she gnawed slowly on the plastic nipple. After a few seconds she stopped to just look at me contemplatively. I could almost see her little brain working on overdrive, trying to figure something out. Then she quickly made up her mind-she turned her head and tried to eat how she is supposed to eat with her mom. Apparently in her mind, mom feeding her with a bottle just wasn't right. This girl is too intelligent for her own good!

She has NEVER liked sitting back, from Day 1


Really good at doing things one handed :)





She may have to get used to Uke music...



This onesie is from Aunt Kare

We went to get professional pictures of the cousins



No comments:

Post a Comment